Networker

Re: [Networker] segment size

2003-02-24 18:55:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] segment size
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:55:50 -0500
On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:08:40 -0700, Chad R. Larson <clarson AT ELDOCOMP DOT
COM> wrote:

>We're running Solstice Backup 5.1 (the Sun OEM Legato Networker).
>
>We needed to add a Red Hat Linux machine to our backup client list.  After
>a fairly extensive web search, we found RPMs for both the client and for
>man pages.  This client is one of the ones from Feral Software, produced a
>while ago.
>
>It seems to be working, but the size of the chunks it feeds the multiplexed
>data stream is 100MB, rather than the 2GB the Solaris and FreeBSD clients use.
>
>Does anyone know where the knob for the number of bytes saved before a
>rollover occurs is located?

First off, I would echo the opinion expressed by Carston that it's probably
time you upgraded. Install 6.1.3 and you will be able to install the fully
supported Linux client from Legato themselves. Although Carston works for
Legato, I don't, and I share the same opinion. 5.1 is _very_ old. Is the
feral Linux client even compatible? I had a feeling it was 5.5.something, in
which case it wouldn't be a good match for a 5.1 server. The 6.x Linux
client is an even worse choice with any 5.x server.

I have seen what you are seeing several times in the past when Legato
Engineering have provided special hotfix binaries for testing. The 100MB ss
cutoff was often used in testing and sometimes they forgot to switch the
flag off during compilation. I think it slipped into a couple of patch
releases around the 5.5 era. You may be able to override it by setting a
specific value for save set cutoff which I think is found in the server
setup. It is normally left blank and at 5.x it defaults to 2GB with a
maximum value of 4GB. Of course once you have upgraded to 6.x this is just a
distant memory, although you can still set if if you wish.