Networker

Re: [Networker] Staging from a partition or of the folder - File device?

2003-02-24 18:38:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staging from a partition or of the folder - File device?
From: "Thomas, Calvin" <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:38:13 -0800
Hi Terry.

I agree if you have a RAID-5 optimized hardware platform (Like the EMC).  If
you don't, then RAID-5 will slow your backups down to speeds well below
modern tape drives. I would suggest that if anyone wants to use RAID-5, they
set it up, and try a backup. If the speed is slow, then they should change
to RAID-10 and compare the speed.
I am running 4 hard drives RAID-0, and my backup speed hits 12-13 MB/s on
these drives (on a 10MBPS SCSI bus. Hm, I wonder.....)
When I send data to my RAID-5 hardware array on this server, I only get
3-4MB/s.

Calvin Thomas
UNIX System Administrator
NACA Logistics