Networker

[Networker] Recovering from a parially overwritten tape?

2003-02-24 15:25:55
Subject: [Networker] Recovering from a parially overwritten tape?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:25:52 -0500
Hi,

I think I've seen this one mentioned before, but if you have an LTO
Ultrium tape that was previously labeled with NetWorker, and there's
like 80 GB of data on it from one or more NetWorker backups (tape is say
40% full), and someone accidentally runs 'mt -f device rewind' and then
tars like 220 MB of data to it using tar, are you SOL, or can any of the
savesets that reside on the portion of the tape that was not affected
still be recovered? Clearly, most of the data would not have been
affected, but if the tape was rewound and tar was run then I'm guessing
the NetWorker label would most likely have been overwritten and it would
not be possible, therefore, to mount the tape, but rather than deleting
the volume and re-labeling the tape, might there be a way to rescue the
data off there? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

George Sinclair
George.Sinclair AT noaa DOT gov