Networker

[Networker] Cloning and staging

2003-02-18 15:44:52
Subject: [Networker] Cloning and staging
From: Joe Moore <Joe.Moore AT SDRC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:32:11 -0500
I've noticed an... interesting interaction with cloning/staging.  But first,
the goal:
We want to backup to disk, make a tape copy of the data for sending offsite
and (since we don't have enough disk space to store everything) stage the
data onto "Vault" tapes.

Sounds easy, right?  We create the Disk pool, Offsite clone pool, and Vault
clone pool, turn cloning on in the savegroups, and create a Staging resource.
And Networker takes care of it automatically.

Well, that's how it's supposed to work.

The cloning works, but the staging never mounts its tape.  If I manually
mount a (blank) labelled tape from the Vault pool, Networker says that
"Volume `<volumename>' ineligible for this operation; Need a different
volume from pool `Vault'".

If I label a Vault tape from the NWadmin GUI, it gets the same "ineligible"
message.  If I label a Vault tape from the command line, it loads it
and writes.  If I turn on auto media management, Networker labels a new
tape rather than just mounting the one that's already labelled.
This is problem #1.

After the staging clone, it deletes all the other instances of that
saveset from the media database.  Meaning that the only copy Networker
knows about is on Vault.002, it's forgotten about the copy on Offsite.002.
This is problem #2.

If I run nsrstage manually and give it the SSID/CloneID, it works correctly
and doesn't delete the Offsite copy, but I'd prefer to let Networker handle
the staging.

Has anyone seen something like this before?

--Joe