Networker

Re: [Networker] best practices for migration to a new tape library

2003-02-14 15:16:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] best practices for migration to a new tape library
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:16:13 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] best practices for migration to a new tape...:

>my management are planning to replace our STK 9710 libraries with STK
>L180's. at the same time we will be going from DLT7000 to SDLT media.
>I'm trying to get my head around the best way to handle the migration.
>the 9710's have 406 slots each and are nearly full. the L180's will have
>fewer slots, something like 170 each, I think. I'll need to keep the
>DLT7000 media around, somewhere, somehow, until the savesets on them
>eventually expire. what's the best, easiest, safest way to handle this?

I've done something similar, though it was an upgrade *within* a 9710
to SDLT (we swapped all the DLT7000 drives for SDLT).

Here's what I recommend:

1) Before you hook up the new jukebox, run a script that sets all your
media to manually recycleable and readonly.

2) When you create the new jukebox resource for the L180(s) using
jbconfig, mark all your drives as `sdlt' *EXCEPT ONE*.  Tell jbconfig
that that drive is type `dlt7000'.

3) Using the NetWorker GUI or your tool of choice, set the one drive
that's type `dlt7000' to be "read-only".

4) This probably isn't necessary, but won't hurt -- change all your pools
so that the "preferred media" is `sdlt'.

5) Load the DLT7000 tapes that have your data into the L180 that has
the one drive that you've said is a dlt7000.  Do an inventory, so
NetWorker knows where your tapes are.

6) Load the remaining slots in the L180 with SuperDLT tapes, and label
a few into each of your pools.

7) Monitor your tapes that you've marked "manually recycleable", and when
you have full cycles on the sdlt media and the manually recycleable tapes
are no longer needed, withdraw them from the jukebox and remove them from
NetWorker's database.

Eventually all your DLT7000 media will be recycleable, and you can get
rid of it.  At that point, you should re-run jbconfig and tell it all
the drives are `sdlt' and make them all read-write (if you want).

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu