Networker

Re: [Networker] Exchange Backup Issues

2003-02-12 06:56:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Exchange Backup Issues
From: Rahul Parasnis <rahul.parasnis AT CREDITLYONNAIS DOT FR>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:53:07 +0900
Yes Scott ,

MSEXCH:MB is working .. it does take backup of indvidual mailboxes . I
specified *@* in the remote user , could be that Windows2K domain\username
is not recognized properly by Solaris .
CLJ-DOM\Exchangeservice is the username I was specifying .
Some one on this list may have got answer already for this , please share
with me .

{ Arcserve software's Exchange backup agent can allow restore of single
mail ]

But when I see the behavior of exchange Server .
STORE.exe is executed with Memory size of 1.5 GB ( Exchange 5.5 on windows
2000 SP4 3GB Memory ) alongwith nsrxchsv.exe taking CPU time ranging from
30% to 55 %.

When STORE.exe is running nothing is getting written on Tape , once that
finishes Backup starts normally . I believe store.exe is making backup
image .
But it appears that it makes an image for each mailbox .

If I have more than 300 users I can't imgaine how much time it will take to
complete the backup . I definitely see problem here with backup time .
30 Min to backup 1 GB Data on gigabit network (!!!!!)

If anyone has fine tuning tips for exchange backups do let me know , I am
really dying to find reasonable solution for this .

best regards,
- RAHUL

                      "Scott Bingham"
                      <sbingham@legato         To:      "Legato NetWorker
discussion" <NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU>, Rahul
                      .com>
Parasnis/JPN/International/CLY@CLY
                                               cc:
                      02/11/2003 03:44         Subject: RE: [Networker]
Exchange Backup Issues
                      AM

Hello Rahul,

This should all work.

Are you sure that you properly specified the backup program name of
nsrxchsv.exe?  If so, please look for the nsrxchsv.log file in
...nsr\applogs on the Exchange Server.

With regard to the 30 mailboxes per client:  this was originally a
performance suggestion.  There is nothing to keep you from backing up
all of the mailboxes at once.  MB backups do have a higher impact on
your Exchange Server than database backups, and take a long time.  Try
it once, and see if it fits your needs.

Thanks,
_Scott