Networker

Re: [Networker] Different Retention per backup levels

2003-02-06 14:46:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Different Retention per backup levels
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 14:46:31 -0500

OK, you can find it at http://www.DriveConsultants.com/set_pool_retent.gz

>Also how are you handling off-site tapes ?

I have worked at various sites with various off-site strategies. By far the
best way IMO is to backup the data to a remote site via a high-speed network
or SAN. This way it is off-site the second it is written to tape.

>Do you clone ?

I have worked at sites where we did cloning. There are couple of down-sides
- firstly it takes at least twice as many tape-drive-hours to clone the data
than it did to write it in the first place. Secondly, the data does not go
off site until after cloning, this could leave you exposed for hours, days
even. On the plus side, you can write clever scripts that selectively clone
only certain data, and don't waste time cloning anything but the latest
index and bootstraps etc.

>        If Yes do you send the clone tapes off-site and if you do how do
>u handle not keeping two sets of        tapes (both the orginal and the
>clone).

Surely the point is that you want to keep both sets, at least for a while? I
posted some info recently about how you can recycle one copy without losing
the index for the other.

>          IF Yes and you dont send the clones off site, do you scratch
>(delete from the media database) the    clones after some periord of
>time so you don't have dup tapes for the full retension cycle?
Ah yes, I answered that above I think.

>          If none of the above what do you do?
Another site I worked at took ALL tapes off site every day. Anything that
was written got sent on a tortuous cycle of locations until it finally
arrived back in the jukebox in time for tea^H^H^Hrecycling. The disadvantage
there is that all restores take a long time because the tapes have to be
retrieved before you start.