Networker

Re: [Networker] How to order tapes

2003-02-04 11:07:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to order tapes
From: Byron Servies <bservies AT PACANG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 08:07:04 -0800
On February 03, 2003 at 09:37, Ciprian Badescu wrote:

> I'm using GNU codebar to label the DLT tapes that I use. The environment
> is: Networker 6.1.2 on Solaris 8 with a 20 tapes library. I would like to
> instruct NetWorker to use the tapes in order (Labels are like 000, 001
> etc.).
>
> I don't know in which order The NetWorker server is loading the tapes. Any
> help ?

Hi there!

The beauty of a storage management system like NetWorker is
that it keeps track of tapes for you.  Need a file on tape
15?  NetWorker will tell you and/or load it for you and
restore the file.  There is no way I know of to force
NetWorker to use tapes "in order" unless you are feeding
them to the tape drive by hand.

If you require isolating some data on a particular set
of tapes, create a pool for that data, label tapes
into that pool, and make sure those savesets are stored
to that pool.

HTH,

Byron