Networker

Re: [Networker] best practice for rotating EOL tapes?

2003-02-04 08:39:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] best practice for rotating EOL tapes?
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 08:40:02 -0500
On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:33:46 -0600, Ed Skolnik <eskolnik AT INTERPUBLIC DOT
COM> wrote:

>Actually this now Networker selects the tapes:
>Legato Networker uses the following order for selecting with tapes to
>write on.
>        1.  Any unused (newly labels) tapes that is in the juke box
>            2.  Any tape that is appendable in the juke box
>            3.  Any tape that is appendable that is NOT in the juke box
>                  (The system would then wait on a mount)
>           4.   The oldest tape in recycle status, in the juke box or
>not.
>              (If not in the Juke box the system would wait forever on a
>mount)

Where did you get this information from? It is of course incorrect. For
example, NetWorker will not wait for an appendable tape that is not in the
library if it has a recyclable tape in the library.

I am fairly sure that the NetWorker docs detail the order that tapes are
used for writing - I suggest that you find this rather than guessing. Also
it would be helpful if you made it clear that this was your understanding of
the way it works, rather than letting people assume that you are stating a fact.