Networker

Re: [Networker] best practice for rotating EOL tapes?

2003-01-31 14:24:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] best practice for rotating EOL tapes?
From: "Shelley L. Shostak" <sls AT QSTECH DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:24:15 -0800
On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Scott Russell wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Networker] best practice for rotating EOL tapes?
>

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:33:46AM -0600, Ed Skolnik wrote:
> > Actually this now Networker selects the tapes:
> > Legato Networker uses the following order for selecting with tapes to
> > write on.
> >         1.  Any unused (newly labels) tapes that is in the juke box
> >             2.  Any tape that is appendable in the juke box
> >             3.  Any tape that is appendable that is NOT in the juke box
> >                   (The system would then wait on a mount)
> >            4.   The oldest tape in recycle status, in the juke box or
> > not.
> >               (If not in the Juke box the system would wait forever on
> > mount)
> >
> > I would change the tapes you want to save to "full" and Manual to keep
> > Networker from requesting you to mount them.
>
> This sounds pretty sane to me. Where did you find the info about how
> networker looks for a fresh tape? (RTFM references appreciated.)

I do not agree with this order.  1 and 2 need to be switched.  And for 1, the
order appears to be tapes labelled first get used first, but I would only put
a 85% confidence on that one.

We rarely get into a situation where there are recyclable tapes.  I set the
browse/retention times to 1 year for everything, but manually remove and
recycle tapes long before that.  We keep 9/incr for one month, level 5 for 6
months and fulls for 1 year.

Shelley