Networker

Re: [Networker] full versus level 1, etc?

2003-01-30 20:16:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] full versus level 1, etc?
From: "Heller, Jason" <Jason.Heller AT HARLEY-DAVIDSON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:16:39 -0600
Be careful though how you read the manual - look through the examples and
pictures.
If I am reading it correctly, there is conflicting statements.

One statement in Table 47  is that a Level X backs up all changes since the
last Level X or lower.
One statement in Example 3 is that a Level X backs up all changes since the
last Level X-1 or lower.

I haven't tested, but I believe the latter is true - a Level X will backup all
data changed since the last lower level (Level X-1), even if previous level X's
exist.

For example::
        Day 1:  Level 0 (full) - will backup all files (full backup)
        Day 2:  Level 5 - will backup all files since Day 1 (all files since
the last level 0-4)
        Day 3:  Level 5 - will backup all files since Day 1 again
        Day 4:  Level 7 - will backup all files since Day 3
        Day 5:  Level 3 - will backup all files since Day 1

An incremental backup will, as always, backup all files since the last
successful backup of any type (except manual?)

Again, this is my understanding, please test in your environment before relying
on these statements.

-Jason-

PS - here's a cut-and-paste from the manual:

P.285, Table 47. Backup Levels

Level [1 - 9] Backs up files that have changed since the last backup with a
lower or
equally numbered backup level. For example:

        * A level 1 backup backs up all the files that have changed since the
last full backup (considered a level zero).

        * A level 3 backup backs up all the files that have changed since the
last level 3 backup, level 2 backup, level 1 backup, or full backup.

        * A level 9 backs up all the files that have changed since the last
level 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, or full (0) backup.

P. 288,
Example: Backup Levels Part 3

Continuing the example, in Figure 28 a level 5 backup on October 15 backs up
all of the data that changed since the last lower-numbered backup.