Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape Expiration and Retention time

2003-01-30 16:07:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Expiration and Retention time
From: "Heller, Jason" <Jason.Heller AT HARLEY-DAVIDSON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:07:39 -0600
By default, I believe the index savesets will take on the browse/retention of
your backup server client entry rather than the client entry.  In some
situations the b/r of the client index will assume the longest b/r policy
specified across all the entries of the same client name.

You state "the expiration date of the 3 day client was 3 months"...how are you
seeing this?  If you are looking at the expiration date of the tape the backup
sits on, you are seeing the date when the saveset with the latest retention
which is probably the index saveset.  Use "mminfo -av -r
client,name,ssbrowse,ssretent <tape label>" to view individual saveset info on
that tape.  You will notice the "client" name of the index savesets match your
backup server's name in all cases.

If this is your problem, there are a few ways to address this.  I don't
remember them in detail, but I think you have the following options, perhaps
more:
1 - Create another client entry for the backup server with your 3 day b/r
policy, and put it in your 3 day group.  It can have a client schedule that
skips backup all of the time since the "real" backup of that client should
already be happing somewhere else.
2 - Don't backup the index entries in the 3 day group (if you are sure the
other group always finishes after the 3 day group).  Yes, the index backup will
catch all saveset indexes of the client, not just what it backed up.
3 - Specify that the index entries go to their own pool.  This is what I do.  I
have some clients with a short b/r policy, but even those client indexes go to
a different pool, with a longer b/r policy.  To do this, you create another
tape pool, check off all groups, but enter "index" (and I'd also do "bootstrap"
for the media index) in the saveset field.

HTH
-Jason-