Networker

[Networker] Tape Libraries

2003-01-30 13:50:10
Subject: [Networker] Tape Libraries
From: "Engle, Vic" <ENGLE005 AT ONYX.DCRI.DUKE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:50:06 -0500
Hello All,

We are running Networker version 6.1.2 on a Sun E250, Solaris 2.6 with 2
P1000 DLT7000 libraries. My question is really more of a hardware question
than a Legato question but I'm posting the question here because I know most
people subscribing to the list have experience with the various tape
libraries on the market.

We are soon going to add a Network Appliance filer with 2TB to our network
and plan to attach a library to the filer for NDMP backups. Our P1000s are
old and have HVD interfaces which is not supported on the netapp so either
we need to convert HVD to LVD or acquire a new library with LVD or FC. I
have priced libraries from STK, Quantum, HP and Qualstar and have found that
the Qualstar seems to offer the best value however I have been warned that
they are not comparable in quality to the other vendors and that there have
been some compatibility problems attaching them to netapp filers. It was
suggested that the problems relate to Qualstar's scsi implementation.

Searching the web, I haven't found any significant amount of negative
information about Qualstar libraries and they really look like an excellent
value so I wondered if any of you on the list have Qualstar libraries and
how you would rate them in terms of reliability, especially if anyone has
one attached to a netapp filer via lvd scsi.

Thanks,

Vic Engle
Unix Systems Administrator
Duke Clinical Research Institute