Networker

[Networker] Tape Expiration and Retention time

2003-01-30 13:33:00
Subject: [Networker] Tape Expiration and Retention time
From: "Christopher T. Beers" <ctbeers AT COE.SYR DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:32:55 -0500
All:

I have created 2 clients with the same name and here are the stats.

The first entry backs up all filesystem except /var/mail (specified
individually), is a member of
the "3 month retention" group and saves its data to the "3 month retention"
pool.  The browse and
retention times are set for 3 Months.  The indexes are backed up on the "3 month
retention" pool
when backup is complete.

The second entry backups up /var/mail, is a member of the "3 day" group, saves to the
"3 day" pool,
and browse and retention times are set for 3 days.  The indexes for this entry
are backed up to the
3 day pool as well.

If I elect to backup the index file once on the entry that completes last,
would I backup the index
for the earlier completed entry?  I suspect yes, but wonder if there are any
advantages to this.

The important question is.  I created both entries yesterday which forced
networker to perform
fulls on each client entry.  The data went to the appropriate pools/tapes.
However, the expiration
date of the 3 day client was 3 months (the 3 month client was 3 months).  Can
someone provide me
some insight on what is going wrong (maybe the index is set to be 3 month
because of the other
client???)?

I am using 6.1.3 server on Solaris and have manually edited the retention and
browse times with
nsrmm.

NOTE:  I also have the same problem with different clients (2 entries) backing
up to a 2 week pool.
The retention time is 3 months.

Regards,

Christopher T. Beers - UNIX Systems Engineer
Syracuse University - Computing and Media Services
250 Machinery Hall      Syracuse, NY 13244
(315) 443-4103 Office   (315) 443-1621 Fax