Networker

Re: [Networker] tape drive hardware compression a bad thing?

2003-01-29 12:30:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape drive hardware compression a bad thing?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:30:41 -0500
On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Jim Lane wrote:

> is there any way I could get feedback as to how well hardware or
> software compression is working? it might be nice to compare in case one
> proves to be better than the other. as it is I'd never know.

Such comparisons would be of dubious value because its sensitive to the
type of data you have to back up, network bandwidth, and the bandwidth of
your tape drive's data ports. In my situation, lots datasets, email and
text-based web pages, compression with hardware is amazing. We often get
50% - $100 more compression than the rated compression of our AIT2 drives.