Networker

[Networker] Cloning indexes

2003-01-28 17:01:55
Subject: [Networker] Cloning indexes
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:01:53 -0600
I'm starting to look into manually cloning the savesets for my servers,
and ran into a few questions.  This is for offsite storage.

Do you clone your indexes when you send them offsite?  Or do you assume
that any DR recovers are going to be saveset recovers, and do not
bother?  It complicates the scripting, because if I include the backup
server in my list of servers-to-clone, then I have to either exclude all
the indexes -- or exclude the indexes of servers I do not clone.  If I
don't include the backup server in the offsite storage list (for
example, I'll do the cloning in batches, as I imagine I'll have to start
doing since all the tapes won't be online,) then I'll have to make a
special exception to include the backups server and indexes later.  (I'm
using Maartin's script as a base that he posted 11 Dec 2002 (Thanks
Maartin!))

How do you handle writing a bootstrap to the offsite clone tapes?  Does
the cloning process do that, or is that something else I need to do?

Dave