Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning yearly save sets to recycle yearly pool

2003-01-28 15:33:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning yearly save sets to recycle yearly pool
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT MEDEC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:33:06 -0500
When the original savesets recycle, so too will the clone savesets (unless one
goes in and sets them differently).   This is ok.. your original tapes can
then be recycled and reused for backups.  The clone tapes are safely offsite.
(You may want to set there location as such with the mmlocate command).

The mediadb tracks your clone tapes/savesets.  While they are not browsable
after the retention time of the savesets
one can recover from them by nsrck -L7 -t date -c client command to read in
index for the client.   This presumes that the index backup (both full and
the following level 9) were also cloned to these tapes.   One can then
browse and recover the files.   You could also scan in the tapes if you
really wanted to.

If you reuse the original tapes and need to do a restore within your
retention time (such as tommorrow) Networker will simple request the clone
tapes during a recover.

Robert Maiello
Thomson Healthcare