Networker

[Networker] Swap a media database

2003-01-28 14:59:43
Subject: [Networker] Swap a media database
From: James Smith <james_smith AT CARGILL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:49:03 -0500
Hello!

We are using Networker 6.0.1 on HP-UX11. We have two servers, one backing
up the production environment(Server A) and one which is used as a standby
DR server (Server B which also backups our DR/testing environment.)
We are looking into ways to speed up the ability to recover information
from tape in a DR scenario.
The idea proposed is to swap the media database of the DR ServerB with
Production ServerA. If this is possible, then we could very quickly get a
list of all the save sets from our clients. Since the majority of our tape
restores for DR would be recovering entire save sets anyways, this seems
like a much faster solution than scanning tapes.
Has anyone tried this, or does anyone see a reason why this won't work?