Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape capacity

2003-01-28 13:01:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape capacity
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:00:54 -0500
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Srini Bala wrote:

> We are running Legato 5.5.1 on solaris 7. I noticed that the tapes are
> able to take in upto 55 GB of during some savesets operations, but when
> different savesets runs, the tape becomes Full when the total capacity
> is around 32GB itself. How to find the tapes full capcity without
> removing the tape from the silo? How to make the tapes write to the full
> capacity? Thanks in advance. -Srini

Offering any specific recommendations without knowing the nature of your
data and the configuration of your Networker server and tape drives is
impossible. Suffice it to say that tape capacity depends on the type of
data being written to the tape AND usually the speed the data is written.
To get optimum capacity out of your tapes, your data has to be heavily
compressible and you need sufficient bandwidth on your network and the
ports to the tape drives to push data to the drives as quickly as
possible.