Networker

[Networker] Savegrp running twice as long with verbosity on

2003-01-28 12:34:01
Subject: [Networker] Savegrp running twice as long with verbosity on
From: Scott Griffin <sgriffin AT EASTMAN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:22:29 -0500
Has anyone ever seen that if you issue a savegrp command for a particular
group that lets say that you are backing up 500MB of data and this job
runs for 9 minutes.  If I run savegrp -v for the same group the backup
time jumps to 17 minutes.  I have a hard time beleiveing that just by
making the backup server log more information during the backup that it
decreases the throughput time of the data that the backup server is
backing up.  This even occurs if I backup data local to the backup server
itself.  I am running W2k with NetWorker 6.1.1 and am also seeing this
same thing with 6.1.2 as well.

The reason that I even care about this is because that I have backup jobs
kicking off via the savegrp command from an Enterprise scheduler and need
for the operators that watch these jobs all night to have some kind of
output in case a job fails.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Griffin
sgriffin AT eastman DOT com