Networker

Re: [Networker] basic directive question

2003-01-27 19:11:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] basic directive question
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:11:28 -0600
On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 02:24:29PM -0500, George Sinclair wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to create a client side directive to everything under
> /home/user_name/mydata
>
> Should I create a .nsr file under /home/user_name with the line:
>
> skip: mydata
>
> or should I instead create a .nsr file under /home/user_name/mydata with
> the line:
>
> skip: * .?*
>
> What method is recommended and why?

I prefer to put them in the directory I'm blocking, just to make
resolving what gets blocked easier.  It's not very intuitive to go the
parent directory when you're trying to check how a subdirectory is
backed up.

But, I can also think of cases where you might want to just establish
one /.nsr file and list all the directories on a system to block from
there.  AFAIK, this doesn't work under Windows.  (To block the S: and T:
drives from backing up, you must put a nsr.dir down in the root of each
drive.)  I wonder where the Windows GUI edited client directive (under
the Networker User program) stores that config...

Dave