Networker

Re: [Networker] cloning to multiple tapes?

2003-01-23 15:51:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] cloning to multiple tapes?
From: "Thomas, Calvin" <calvin.thomas AT NACALOGISTICS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:51:48 -0800
The options will only work if networker can physically support the cloneing
to multiple tape drives.

If you have multiple file devices, you could set up one clone for each tape
drive, and triple your clone speed.

If you have a single file device, Try this experiment:
start a clone session with one ssid. After it is saveing to tape, start
another clone session with another ssid, and see if it can get access to the
file device.  If you can pull multiple save sets at once, you are in luck.
Otherwise, you will have to change to multiple file devices to clone from.

I'll be interested in the results...

Note: I have been working on several scripts to stage (or clone) from disk
to tape.  I have one that works pretty good now.  It finds all save sets on
the hard drive that are over a certain age, and complete, and saves them to
tape one at a time. It also pauses in between each save, and allows backups
to take over the file device. After the backup is finished, it continues
with the next save in the list.  The only real difference between cloneing
and stageing is staging can be done to any pool (not just clone pools) and
after the stageing is done the save set is deleted off of the hard drive.
For cloneing, I just use the automatic group cloneing in networker.

Calvin Thomas
UNIX System Administrator
NACA Logistics