Networker

Re: [Networker] client connections question

2003-01-23 12:54:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] client connections question
From: Wes Ono <wono AT LEGATO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:51:55 -0800
(Follow-up - New fifth through seventh bullets under "Client Connections")

(Note: the following does not apply to NetWorker NDMP Client Connections or
NetWorker OpenVMS client connections.)

Client Connections (CC) and Cluster Client Connections (CCC):
("client license" means client connection or cluster client connection,
whichever is appropriate to the machine)

- Each physical machine to be backed up by NetWorker requires a client
connection, including the NetWorker server itself.
- If a machine is a member of a cluster (Windows, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX,
TruCluster, Legato AAM) then that machine requires a cluster client
connection instead of (not in addition to) a regular client connection.
- A single physical machine consumes a single client license, even if you
create multiple client definitions (e.g., one for filesystem backup, another
for database backup)
- Partitionable machines (e.g. E10K, Sun Fire, SuperDome) appear to
NetWorker as multiple physical machines.
- NetWorker consumes a client license for each machine that is defined as a
client within NetWorker, even if no backups are being performed for that
machine.
- Virtual clients (e.g., cluster resources with their own independent IP
addresses) do not require a client license.
- NetWorker does not differentiate between Windows variants for client
licensing purposes.

NetWorker servers come with client connections:

- NetWorker Workgroup and Business Editions come with 8 client connections.
No client connections may be added.
- NetWorker Network Edition comes with 10 client connections.  Client
connections and cluster client connections may be added.
- NetWorker Power Edition comes with 10 client connections, and 2 cluster
client connections for the same operating system as the NetWorker server.
Client connections and cluster client connections may be added.

ClientPaks:

The NetWorker server runs on some operating system.  If you have client
machines running on other operating systems, then you need the appropriate
ClientPak to enable the backup of the other operating systems.

- Example 1 - NetWorker server running on Solaris, clients on Solaris only.
No ClientPaks required.

- Example 2 - NetWorker server running on Solaris, clients on Solaris, HP-UX
and Windows.  UNIX and Windows ClientPaks required (one each).

So, in your example, adding a 100 client connection license would allow the
NetWorker server to back up itself, plus 109 other systems, assuming they
were not in clusters, and were either the same OS type as the NetWorker
server or enabled via the appropriate ClientPak licenses.

Hope this helps,

Wes Ono