Networker

Re: [Networker] 600GB saved on single LTO volume??

2003-01-23 12:30:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] 600GB saved on single LTO volume??
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:30:45 -0500
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, roger midway wrote:

> Would anyone consider it odd for 600gb to be store to
> a single LTO volume.  I ran backups of several SUN
> systems and was amazed (and concerned) that there was
> upwards of 600gb save to muliple LTO tapes.  This was
> a localized backup.
>
> What do you think?

Try restoring a few files from that tape as a test to verify the integrity
of the data on that tape and/or clone the entire tape. I suspect the data
on that tape happens to be highly compressable. The ratings you see on
different tape madia depend on how well the data to be written to the
media can be compressed. Those ratings are estimates and sometimes, the
estimates can be too conservative.