Networker

Re: [Networker] NT Cluster License issue

2003-01-21 14:55:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] NT Cluster License issue
From: "Mark Bradshaw (BTOpenWorld)" <notthehoople AT BTOPENWORLD DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:07:06 +0000
Hi Chris,

I believe what is happening here is caused by Legato changing their cluster
licensing policy. In NetWorker 5.x there was no difference between a Unix
and a Windows cluster as far as licensing goes - you bought the same
NetWorker cluster license regardless of platform you were backing up.

In 6.x there are 2 different licenses - one for Unix and one for Windows.
Since you have Power Edition for UNIX you have 2 free cluster licenses. This
used to work fine for you in 5.x since there was no difference between a
Windows and a Unix cluster. Now there is a difference, your bundled cluster
licenses will only apply to UNIX, since they are included with Power Edition
for UNIX.

I'm afraid I think the onlyr way out of this is to buy 2 Windows cluster
licenses - I don't think you'll be able to get round this otherwise. You
could try arguing the case with Legato or your supplier since it is their
change that is causing you grief but not sure what success you'll have!

Cheers

Mark