Networker

Re: [Networker] DDS woes - summary

2003-01-21 11:52:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] DDS woes - summary
From: Andre Beck <networker AT IBH DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:52:50 +0100
Re,

Thanks for all responses (to the list and directly to me). A short
summary:

> 1) Whenever the shared tape is switched between the two servers (one
>    beeing the Networker server, the other beeing a storage node) Win2k
>    issues nonsense messages of illegal device removal (dunno exactly
>    how this would be called in an original W2k, got a localized german
>    version here) - it warns me that I would have illegally removed the
>    SDLT320 Tape Drive (note, not the medium, but the *drive*).

After

a) again disabling RSM (the removable media service) completely and
b) bumping the 2k up to SP3

the problem disappeared. It appears SP3 fixes several issues related to
hotplug/PCI hotplug especially in conjunction with Compaq servers, and so
it did for us. At least for the first test run.

> 2) DDS licensing clearly states that you need one DDS license per drive to
>    be shared. For entirely unknown reasons, I need two.

A known bug in nsrd.exe that can be patched away.

For the unload-reload "issue" it is designed that way - maybe future
versions handle this differently. Is there any such mechanism as a feature
request with Legato? I assume they've heard this already thousands of
times, but maybe...

--
Thanks to DRM technology, this mail will destroy itself in five seconds.

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-