Networker

Re: [Networker] Inactivity Timeout on particular Save Set

2003-01-17 10:43:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Inactivity Timeout on particular Save Set
From: Matts Nilsson <matts_nilsson AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:43:30 +0100
 Hello,
Try Process Explorer from SysInternals
(www.sysinternals.com) for killing the save process
that's hanging.

Sorry, but I don't have any ideas why this occur. Does
a full hang as well? If you only have problems with
incremental or levels, keep in mind that a client
might appear "lost" for a long time (hours) trying to
locate which files it's supposed to back up. To verify
this, check if save.exe is using any CPU on the
client. If it is, it's working, just not sending any
data to the backup server. Obviously, if this is the
"problem", a full would start sending data at once.

HTH!

// Matts

 --- Ingo Roschmann <ingo AT VISIONET DOT DE> skrev: > Hi
all,

> I know, there's been a lot of discussion on
> inactivity timeouts, but I
> haven't found a hint that covers our problem:
>
> From time to time, one particular save set fails due
> to inactivity timeout;
> in addition, the save.exe-process hangs and we can
> only kill it by
> rebooting the machine.
>
> Our environment is networker 6.1.1, server is
> solaris 8, client is a w2k-
> mscs-cluster with open file manager 8.0 running.
>
> Symptoms are:
> - It is always the same save set that fails and the
> save set is located on
> its own group of hard disks
> - Increasing the inactivity timeout is useless; a
> manual save on the client
> shows that the process seems to stop working after a
> few minutes
> - Another save set on the same clusternode at the
> same time works fine
> - The backup level is irrelevant; the error occured
> with incremental
> backups as well as with level 5 backups
> - While the abandoned save.exe process still hangs,
> every attempt to do
> another save will fail; if the hanging process is
> killed (after a reboot),
> backup may work for a few days until the error
> occurs again
> - The last time the error occurred a scandisk on the
> volume reported errors
>
> Now I have 3 questions:
>
> - What do you think of the idea, the hard disks the
> save set is located on,
> are the problem and are there any suggestions for
> testing this hypothesis?
> - Are there any suggestions how we could kill the
> hanging save.exe-
> processes on the client? We can't kill them by task
> manager nor by tools
> like pskill nor does stopping the networker services
> help (and we don't
> want to boot the server everytime the problem
> occurred)
> - Has anyone any idea, please?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ingo
>
> --
> Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff
> networker" command via email
> to listserv AT listmail.temple DOT edu or visit the list's
> Web site at
> http://listmail.temple.edu/archives/networker.html
> where you can

Gratis e-mail resten av livet på www.yahoo.se/mail