Networker

[Networker] Overland Data LoaderXpress and Linux

2003-01-17 10:16:01
Subject: [Networker] Overland Data LoaderXpress and Linux
From: Riaan van Niekerk <riaanvn AT PUKNET.PUK.AC DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:15:42 +0200
does anyone have any experience with the Overland Data LoaderXpress
(DLT8000 or any other formats) and Red Hat Linux 7.x / NetWorker 6.1.x?
This library is not supported by NetWorker on any version of Linux.

For completeness sake, here is an overview of our situation (to prevent
comment like "why don't you go with brand X or tape technology X". The
previous library, an old 10-slot with DLT4000 (not on maintenance due to
lack of spares) has failed and we are looking for a small library with
- about 10 or so - in this environment, we would be using 2-3
DLT8000-written tapes per week - anything larger would be overkill.
- Use DLTIV media - we have about 200 DLTIV tapes, half of which have
production data on them).
- Be read-compatible with DLT4000, e.g. DLT8000's (we have a coup of
standalone DLT8000 drives) or VS80 (also acceptable although DLT8000
would be preferrable)
- made by Overland (the previous library was Overland, we use an
Overland Neo, 26- slot SDLT1, which is certified with Linux) or ATL.
Overland and ATL are the only DLT-capable brands supplied by our backup
solution provider.
- Compatible with Linux  (migrating to something else is not an option.
The backup server also does Web, DHCP, DNS and caching on this
particular site)

Another option would be a Quantum ATL ValueLoader (aka Benchmark VS640)
with VS80 drive
(or the Dell PowerVault 122T DLT VS80 Autoloader, a rebadged Quantum ATL
ValueLoader). The ValueLoader is certified with Linux 7.2 (the
PowerVault not). The VS80 drive uses DLTIV media and has read
compatibility with DLT4000. It has been certified by Benchmark/Quantum
as being compatible with NetWorker 6.x and Red Hat Linux 7,.2

greetings and TIA for your thoughts

Riaan van Niekerk
Unix-stelseladministrateur
B.Juris, B.A., RHCE, IBM Certified AIX Sysadmin
ITB Netwerke en Infrastruktuur
Potchefstroomse Universiteit
Tel : (018) 299 2147
Fax: (018) 293 5299

 /"\
 \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - NO HTML EMAIL!
  X  PLEASE QUOTE ONLY RELEVANT PARTS OF THIS MESSAGE.
 / \ DON'T QUOTE THIS SIGNATURE!

Hierdie boodskap (en aanhangsels) is onderhewig aan beperkings en 'n
vrywaringsklousule. Volledige besonderhede beskikbaar by
http://www.puk.ac.za/itb/e-pos/disclaimer.html , of by
itbsekr AT puknet.puk.ac DOT za

This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a
disclaimer. Please refer to
http://www.puk.ac.za/itb/e-pos/disclaimer.html for full details, or at
itbsekr AT puknet.puk.ac DOT za