Networker

Re: [Networker] Indexes and when they get updated?

2003-01-16 19:52:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Indexes and when they get updated?
From: George Scott <George.Scott AT ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:48:38 +1100
All,

> The client file index is updated as the files are backed up.  The client
> sends file records to the server, which writes them to the index.

In the old WiSS index database (used prior to NetWorker 6) the new
entries were written to a separate area (the .x files from memory) in
the database and then committed as one transaction at the end of the
save.  I assume that if something went wrong with the server before the
commit that these entries would be lost.  This scheme helped to keep
the database consistent.

The down side was when you attempted to backup a large file system
(many files) the commit would take a very long time.  The old nsrindexd
could only do one thing at a time so while it was committing the large
transaction it was not accepting new entries from other saves which
ended up stalled waiting for it.  If you were unlucky the inactivity
timeout got triggered and started killing off your other backups.  If
you were more lucky you would just have DBA's complaining that their
offline backups had run into prime time and using it as more evidence
that we should get rid of NetWrecker.

Thankfully those times are past for us.  We now have a new set of
"issues" to fight.  The push is still on...

George.
--
George Scott           George.Scott AT its.monash DOT edu
Systems Programmer, IT Services, Monash University