Networker

Re: [Networker] tape rotations

2003-01-16 10:54:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape rotations
From: "Hamilton, Bob (Sup. Operations)" <RHamilton AT NRH-OK DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:44:30 -0600
Teresa,

We've just begun using the (NT) Legato product and have the same
questions as you.  We have had no formal training, only a cursory
overview of the system provided by the installer. We have scheduled to
send someone to training in February so we don't yet know how we want to
configure our rotations and pools.  In the interim the operator pulls
each days tapes for them to go offsite.  Since our application is new,
we don't have a great deal of historical data to archive; the system
doesn't use more than two tapes per day.  We mount two tapes each
morning and remove them after the backups and replace them with tapes
from two weeks ago.  All of our tapes belong to the default pool to
simplify operations until we define our daily/weekly/monthly pools.  I
know our procedures aren't optimal, but feel it is important to get the
tapes offsite each day in case of disaster.  I am interested to read
what others do.

Regards,

Bob Hamilton