Networker

Re: [Networker] SUN OS backup

2003-01-16 10:25:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] SUN OS backup
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:17:20 -0500
Hi Gary

I think that some/many operating systems can boot from disks in storage
arrays.  If Solaris can do this, then you can use storage array features
like clones/BCVs to create a 'golden' copy of your system disk, then use
that copy just by switching LUN assignments when you need to do a system
disk-disaster recovery.  This becomes very attractive when you can use the
same golden copy for a number of systems.  It's like keeping a Windows Ghost
image on CD, without needing to fiddle with the media.

We're moving forward on testing this in our own lab, so we can find rough
edges before documenting how to do this for our customers.

FYI
tl

Terry Lemons
CLARiiON Applications Integration Engineering
        EMC²
where information lives

4400 Computer Drive, MS D239
Westboro MA 01580