Networker

Re: [Networker] Permission denied

2003-01-14 14:06:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Permission denied
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:07:26 -0500
On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:42:27 -0600, Terrence Haupt
<Terrence.Haupt AT ABBOTT DOT COM> wrote:

>Ok folks...  I have a good one.

You're right, it is a tricky one.

>My environment
>
>Sun E450 Legato server Running Solaris 8 and Networker 6.1.1 (with updated
>nsrmmd binaries)
>
>I have many clients and storage nodes 2 jukeboxes a STK 9740 and STK L700
>all with DLT7000 drives.
>
>The L700 has 6 of its drives shared using DDS
>
>The shared nodes are 9 solaris 8 machines and 2 HPUX 11 machines. (all are
>6.1.1 with updated binaries)
>
>When labeling a tape I get the following error but the label completes
>successfully...
>
>Verifying label, error opening: Permission denied.

Sometimes a permission denied message can mean that the tape is write
protected. I don't think this is the case here since you see the message on
read rather than write, but is it worth checking.

I think you're right to suspect reserve/release issues though.

>When I try to mount a tape manually i get the same error and the tape
>ejects.
>
>When legato tries to use the drive it gets the same error and then the
>tape is stuck in the drive until i manually reach in and pull it out.  I
>checked each drive on each storage node using mt -f status some of the
>drives come back as  write protected or reserved. others do not...  i
manually went out and
>tried to mt -f release each drive and still get these errors...  Has
>anyone ran across this before?
>

>Side notes.
>In my st.conf i have set the no reserve bit I have not however set it in
>the stdef.h (but that's used for building your own dev files right?)
>I have also restarted networker on each of the affected storage nodes and
>the server.

First point - have you restarted the server/storage nodes since changing the
st.conf? It will need a reboot or at the very least a reload of the st
module to pick up any changes.

Second point - I would have thought that you would want to be turning on
reserve/release here, not turning it off. What about the HP machines, are
they using reserve/release? (Sorry I'm not as well up on this aspect of
HP-UX, so don't know how this would be done).

Third point - this is on a SAN right? You haven't given any info about what
the SAN hardware is. Is the firmware up to date? I remember a couple of
years ago there was a bug in the firmware of Crossroads FC/SCSI routers that
prevented releases from getting through - could you be seeing something
similar to this?

Hope this is some small help.