Networker

Re: [Networker] Usefulness of clones (WAS: Problemwith the recycling of clones)

2003-01-10 12:56:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Usefulness of clones (WAS: Problemwith the recycling of clones)
From: Tom Webster <webster AT SSDPDC.LGB.CAL.BOEING DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:56:43 -0800
Kenneth,

* Kenneth Larsen (Kenneth.Larsen AT STERIA DOT DK) [030110 07:30]:
> Ofcause we're interested, at least if u can get a status on your request.
> It's not likely we'll ever hear from legato, but theres always a chance.
>
> How do u guys handle the situation today ? keep the clones and originals
> until they expire ? handle it manually ?
>
> Does veritas have this functionality, that sounds interesting as I am about
> to get a copy I can test vs legato.

It's been a while since I worked with Veritas at all, so I may be off on
some of the details, but: Yes, it has the ability to tee the backup
stream and write duplicate tapes at the same time the backups are going.
I have no idea how well or poorly it handles problems with media while
it's doing this.  As I recall, and maybe incorrectly, it got around the
label/barcode issue by dumping the duplicated tapes right into the
I/O port of the library when the tape was done.

As far as working with Legato's clones: scripts.  A series of scripts to
try to get the cloning to work somewhat in parallel (a modification of
some of the scripts that have been posted on this list) and a script to
handle the generation of the paper forms that we need to send tapes off
site for disaster retention and handle some of the tape recycling.

The scripts are very much a work in progress.

Tom
--
| Tom Webster                       |  "Funny, I've never seen it     |