Networker

[Networker] Save sessions still running?

2003-01-10 12:20:40
Subject: [Networker] Save sessions still running?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:26:21 -0500
Every now and then, I'll come in in the morning, only to discover that a
few save sessions are still running, but no progress is being reported
even after a long time. I stop the group, and re-start it. This normally
fixes the problem, but sometimes the original running sessions never
dissappear from the Sessions window. If you stop and then restart the
group, you have duplicate sesssions now running. The new ones finish,
and all is well, but the original ones are still frozen. If you login to
the affected host or the server, you see no save sessions running (ps
-ef | grep save) and 'ps -ef | grep nsr' shows nothing other than the
standard daemons running. To clear things out, I end up having to stop
and re-start the server. Stopping and re-starting the client has no
effect.

Does anyone know what is happening here? How is it that NetWorker can
report frozen running sessions in the Sessions window, but no processes
for these sessions are reported on either the server or client?

Another thing I've noticed sometinmes is that there may be 6 or 7 groups
still running. These are incrementals that should have had plenty of
time to complete the evening prior. Some of the groups report only
indexes remaining to be backed up, while others report sessions still
pending, but the only thing the main nwadmin Sessions window shows is
like two frozen savesets for one group, not the rest. If I begin
stopping the groups one at a time then at some point the remaining ones
wake up and they continue their sessions and then complete, but the
original frozen sessions are still reported. I can then polish off the
last ones as discussed above by re-starting the group -- this produces
duplicate sessions but then completes -- and then shutting down the
server and restarting it to clear out those reported frozen sessions.

Any thoughts? Does anyone else ever see this mischief?

Thanks.

George Sinclair
George.Sinclair AT noaa DOT gov