Networker

Re: [Networker] Usefulness of clones (WAS: Problemwith the recycling of clones)

2003-01-10 10:30:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Usefulness of clones (WAS: Problemwith the recycling of clones)
From: Kenneth Larsen <Kenneth.Larsen AT STERIA DOT DK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:27:18 +0100
Ofcause we're interested, at least if u can get a status on your request.
It's not likely we'll ever hear from legato, but theres always a chance.

How do u guys handle the situation today ? keep the clones and originals
until they expire ? handle it manually ?

Does veritas have this functionality, that sounds interesting as I am about
to get a copy I can test vs legato.

regards
Kenneth Larsen
Steria
Tonsbakken 16-18
2740 Skovlunde
kel AT steria DOT dk - 44506261 - 26306261

|---------+------------------------------->
|         |           "T. S. Kimball"     |
|         |           <tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM>|
|         |           Sent by: Legato     |
|         |           NetWorker discussion|
|         |           <NETWORKER@LISTMAIL.|
|         |           TEMPLE.EDU>         |
|         |                               |
|         |                               |
|         |           10-01-2003 11:16    |
|         |           Please respond to   |
|         |           Legato NetWorker    |
|         |           discussion; Please  |
|         |           respond to "T. S.   |
|         |           Kimball"            |
|---------+------------------------------->

  |       To:       NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
                                        |
  |       cc:
                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Networker] Usefulness of clones (WAS: Problemwith the
recycling         of clones)      |

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 10:31:28 -0800, Tom Webster
<webster AT SSDPDC.LGB.CAL.BOEING DOT COM> wrote:

>If you are just looking at a tape duplication solution, NovaStor
>makes Windows software to duplicate tapes.  One of the DLT vendors
>(Fuji?) was giving the software away last year with the purchase of
>a five tape brick (the idea was to facilitate your coping data from
>older tape formats to DLT and thus buy more DLTs).

I remember looking at that solution when we were first doing the setup
of our library.  Unfortunately we need both copies to be registered
with Networker, so the idea was shelved.

>On a larger-scale, I'd like to see NSR gain the ability to 'fan-out'
>writing to media, so that multiple copies of the backups can be written
>to different tapes as the backups are being done.  The two stage process
>of backing up and then cloning for off-site disaster recovery copies is
>painful and time consuming.

We opened a case with Sun (and thereby a Legato bug/enhancement request)
about this, citing something similar that Veritas does.  That was couple
years ago, so I'd have to dig a bit to find the ID if anyone's interested.

--TSK
Timothy S. Kimball                        tkimbal AT att DOT net._rm_this_bit