Networker

Re: [Networker] Usefulness of clones (WAS: Problemwith the recycling of clones)

2003-01-09 13:31:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Usefulness of clones (WAS: Problemwith the recycling of clones)
From: Tom Webster <webster AT SSDPDC.LGB.CAL.BOEING DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 10:31:28 -0800
Timothy,

* T. S. Kimball (tkimball AT BRASS DOT COM) [030109 00:25]:
> As I was trying to say :), I agree with George's notes.  As an
> example, I had a time where an extra copy of a set of clone tapes
> were needed, and had to create a whole new pool just to accomodate
> it.
>
> I would rather have preferred to 'clone' back to a normal save
> pool (there were tapes avail), but this is not possible since
> cloning can only send to another clone pool.
>
> One way we considered doing what George wanted (a seperate copy)
> was to recover the files then back them up again.  This for us
> is a waste of I/O as well as impractical in our environment anyway,
> so we just dealt with the re-clone via a new pool.
>
> If anyone can suggest a relatively simple (and inexpensive)
> alternative that could be used in case it's needed again, I'd
> appreciate it.

If you are just looking at a tape duplication solution, NovaStor
makes Windows software to duplicate tapes.  One of the DLT vendors
(Fuji?) was giving the software away last year with the purchase of
a five tape brick (the idea was to facilitate your coping data from
older tape formats to DLT and thus buy more DLTs).

On a larger-scale, I'd like to see NSR gain the ability to 'fan-out'
writing to media, so that multiple copies of the backups can be written
to different tapes as the backups are being done.  The two stage process
of backing up and then cloning for off-site disaster recovery copies is
painful and time consuming.

Regards,

Tom
--
| Tom Webster                       |  "Funny, I've never seen it     |