Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape Seperation

2003-01-08 18:02:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Seperation
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT CS.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:02:04 -0600
[ Sorry about the old thread -- I'm cleaning out my inbox ]

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 11:58:43AM -0800, Carston Locher wrote:
> Eric,
>
> As George indicates you want to use pools to accomplish this.  However,
> the exact configuration of the pools depends on your exact setup.
>
> I would like to make a few clarifications to George's recommendations:
>
> 1) If you simply want to separate full and nonfull data I wouldn't base
> this off of groups in the pool configuration.  You should be using the
> "level" settings in the pool configuration to separate out the data.
> You basically create one pool named "Full" and only select level "full"
> for that pool.  You then create another pool named "NonFull" and select
> the non-full levels you would like to go to that pool.  You don't have
> to fill in any of the other criteria such as groups, clients, etc.

A caveat is that some "incremental" backups will always backup as fulls.
For example, the SYSTEM FILES: and SYSTEM DB: on a Windows client will
always backup at level 'full', even when the system is doing an
incremental backup.  I understand the logic, but this can play havoc if
you define a policy where all full backups go to X pool and incrementals
to Y.  Start an incremental group backup, and you'll need tapes from
both pools.

Dave