Networker

Re: [Networker] Restore times excessive?

2003-01-08 11:03:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Restore times excessive?
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:01:41 -0500
Hi

I echo Peter's thoughts.  Given the size of today's databases, doing a bulk
data movement (restore from a backup-to-tape or a backup-to-disk) is
sometimes not an effective rapid recovery story.  The best (IMHO) way to
accomplish this is to use storage array features like snapshots, clones/BCVs
and mirrors.  When you combine these features with the additional feature of
distance replication, you can accomplish rapid/instantaneous backup, rapid
recovery, and disaster recovery, all with the same products.

This year, we'll see many integrations of these products into solutions that
will create new paradigms for how backups are done.  And I'm not saying this
because of where I work; I'm speaking as a person who still thinks as a
backup architect and administrator.  This is very good stuff.  Stay tuned.

tl

Terry Lemons
CLARiiON Applications Integration Engineering
        EMC²
where information lives

4400 Computer Drive, MS D239
Westboro MA 01580