Networker

Re: [Networker] incompatibilities between different Networker versions

2003-01-07 06:34:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] incompatibilities between different Networker versions
From: Hrvoje Crvelin <hcrvelin AT ORCHESTRA DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:37:22 +0100
> Hot line said me that it could be a problem.
This may cause some trouble.  I do not agree with
arguments You gave. They do stand for 6.0.x and
6.1.x (and there is no problem up to my knowledge),
but difference between 6.x and 5.x is rather big
so mixing those may result in problems.  Legato is
not some kind of isolated example here - almost all
software companies to this.  And there are good
reasons for that if You think for a moment.

Note that keeping 5.5.x server at the time when
5.5.x is EOL with fresh clients is bad admin job
as well.  While NetWorker is client-server SW,
most of the operations do happen on server side.
This server side has been enhanced great deal
(RFEs and bug fixes) so I would really urge You
to upgrade.  Perhaps then You would be less tired
of NetWorker problems You mentioned.

Back to original question.  You may go to 6.1.x
w/o any problem.  To be 100% sure, make following:
1) Configure dummy machine
2) Stop original backup server and copy mm, index and res
   to the dummy machine
3) Start original one
---
At this point original should continue to work
and dummy one should be not be on net.  Name the
dummy machine as original backup machine and install
same version of NetWorker as You have on original.
Make an update test then which in short should be:
1) eject all tapes from drives
2) disable drives
3) disable groups
4) run nsrck -F for all clients
5) clear $NSR/tmp
6) uninstall (partial) all software
7) install new one
- I would recommend to use tail -f daemon.log, top and
  ps in loop to check the progress here; on vanila Windows
  You have only task manager there (but You may use some
  other utils laying around)
8) check the logs
9) enable disabled (skip that when doing test)
10) make a test backup of dummy machine (You may use
    file device)

The goal of this test is to see:
a) if everything works fine
b) measure the time needed for operation (aprox. value since
   You would need to replicate SW and HW environment for real
   figures) which should give You an idea of amount of time
   needed for operation.

I'm quite sure I forgot something, but trying this on Your
own should give You an idea.

Cheers,
Hrvoje Crvelin