Networker

Re: [Networker] ClientPaks

2003-01-03 23:07:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] ClientPaks
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 22:07:39 -0600
My understanding from our Sales Executive is that one has to license a
"ClientPak" if one is going to back up any machines whose architecture
(i.e., Intel) is different from the backup server's (i.e., UNIX.)   So, if
you run a Solaris backup server and plan to back up UNIX, NT/2k and
NetWare clients, you'd need two ClientPak's -- one for NT and one for
NetWare.  I think that's right, but I'm not 100% sure.

On top of this requirement is the requirement to license a sufficient
number of "Client Connections", which are client-OS independent (i.e., if
you plan to back up 800 clients onto one server, you would likely need a
1000-connection Client Connection license.)

My advice would be to ask your Sales person, and get their answer in
*writing*.   The communication between Sales and Licensing divisions
within Legato is sorely lacking, in my experience as a Legato customer for
the last six years.

HTH,
-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Backup/Recovery Systems Mgr.
Network Services Group
i2 Technologies, Inc.

Shawn Doughty <stryder AT EECS.TUFTS DOT EDU>
Sent by: Legato NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
01/03/2003 08:18 PM
Please respond to Legato NetWorker discussion; Please respond to Shawn
Doughty