Networker

Re: [Networker] 2 ques: Unknown error 193 (0xc1) + Client inactive.

2003-01-03 14:48:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] 2 ques: Unknown error 193 (0xc1) + Client inactive.
From: Gary Goldberg <og AT DIGIMARK DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 14:44:38 -0500
As one other person and yourself has commented, this does describe well
what appears to be happening. I had thought that the data streams from
a client until the backup is done, but if there are lapses between
groups of data, the firewall may be timing them out. I've set the timeout
on the access rules on the SonicWALL firewall (there appears to be no way
to turn it off completely) for Legato services (range of ports defined in
the Legato firewall white paper) for 360 minutes. Shouldn't this imply that
the session wouldn't timeout for at least six hours though? -Gary

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Andrew Ryan wrote:
> > The problem is limited (apparently) to clients behind
> > four firewalls I recently deployed. Although it doesn't
> > happen every time, and to every client behind them. And
> > some of the clients have never had the problem. But it does
> > happen to both images (taken Sundays) and incrementals (rest
> > of week).
>
> You probably have stateful firewalls, and your Networker traffic on
> these certain hosts on certain jobs is probably sporadic enough such
> that the firewall considers that network session "timed out". I'd check
> your firewall settings and up the settings on what constitutes a
> timed-out session, and increase it if possible.
>
> You can get timeout errors like this is when doing backups (esp.
> incrementals) on filesystems with thousands of files which don't change
> very often. In that case Networker will eventually assume the client
> save process has died, even though it hasn't died, it's just been slow
> in responding. Your problem might be a special case of this, but the
> firewall is dropping the session before Networker has a chance to drop it.
>
> But with It's a bit unusual that this would happen when taking full
> backups, but not impossible. The only way to confirm exactly what is
> happening is catch one of these failed backups in action and get packet
> traces on the client and the Networker server, and the firewall access logs.

-- "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin
Gary Goldberg KA3ZYW <og AT digimark DOT net> V:301/249-6501 F:301/390-1955
AIM:OgGreeb
Digital Marketing/Bowie MD/Systems & Networks Consult <http://www.digimark.net/>