Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO drive

2003-01-03 13:40:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO drive
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:48:37 -0500
We are using an STK L80 with 4 Seagate LTO ULTRIUM drives, and I do have
some issues with it. First, unlike ATL, they don't give you any way to
move tapes around in the library unless you either: A. Open the doors
and do it manually, B: use your backup software or C. Purchase their
goofy software that apparently connects via http or some such thing. I
guess the library has an thernet address? Anyway, this really sucks
because let's suppose I'm having a probkem with the library. Maybe
Legato NetWorker is completely confused about what is or is not in a
drive. I can't just move a tape in or out of a drive or slot directly
from the librarie's GUI like I can with our ATL P1000 DLT tape
libraries. I have to open the door and do it. Then I have to wait for
the library to re-calibrate itself. This is a real pain in the neck. I
don't think you should have to pay for software to do what the unit
should do defacto! The other problem we've had is that we've never been
able to get the nsrjb -H -E command to work properly with this rascal.
There have been a few times when it was necessary to make Legato sane
again after it lost its little brain. Unfortunatley, the command to do
this simply fails. We are running this library on a Linux Red Hat box. I
have not found that the tapes hold any more data than SDLT or write any
faster. They don't seem to hold less or write slower, though. One thing
I do like about the library besides its large number of slots is the
fact that it's smart enough to know not to allow a tape to go into a
slot that a tape already in a drive is reserved for. This is not the
case with our ATLs. One other annoying thing, though, is that the GUI
will not allow you to see a listing of the tapes. On our ATL libraries,
you can see a full listing of the tapes. If a tape has no bar code, it
simply reports 'no barcode'; otherwise, the barcode is displayed.

George