Networker

[Networker] 2 ques pls: a. Unknown error 193 (0xc1) b. Client inactive/abandoned.

2003-01-03 09:14:38
Subject: [Networker] 2 ques pls: a. Unknown error 193 (0xc1) b. Client inactive/abandoned.
From: Gary Goldberg <og AT DIGIMARK DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 09:11:40 -0500
Hi. I've had two long-term problems -- one is simple, but I had to let my
Legato support run out before I could ask, and the other I spent over a year
with Legato support and could never answer. This is a Windows NT 4 SP6a
installation with Networker Server 6.1.1 build 238 on an Intel dual 450Mhz P2
with 1GB of RAM and internal RAID 5 array, external dual Spectra Logic Treefrogs
(total 3GB AIT-1 jukeboxes), and ~10 clients (RH Linux, Win2K Server and
Solaris).

Problem 1:  Some of my clients are running and then failing with the message
"client:/disk has been inactive for 30 minutes since {timestamp}"
"client:/disk is being abandoned by nsrexec."

Does anyone have any diagnostics I can try to determine a cause? It seems to
start the backup fine, but then gets caught. I don't want to limit your thinking
to this, but the only other change recently, is the addition of a SonicWALL
firewall between the nsrserver and client, although other nodes with the same
updates seem to complete without problems.

Problem 2: (THis one is more complex). The nsrserver host itself, and all the
index backups, fail every day, with an Unknown error 193 (0xc1) line. Between
the legato tech people and myself, we tried everything we could think of, from
resetting all the permissions on the system by hand, to installing diagnostic
versions of the Networker server. We never found a solution. Their eventual
sugggestion was to reinstall the operating system or upgrade to Windows 2000
Server. I've never done this as I think it would be too disruptive. Any thoughts
on this?

Thank you in advance for any help. -Gary

-- "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin
Gary Goldberg KA3ZYW <og AT digimark DOT net> V:301/249-6501 F:301/390-1955
AIM:OgGreeb
Digital Marketing/Bowie MD/Systems & Networks Consult <http://www.digimark.net/>