Networker

Re: [Networker] Command line pro's.

2003-01-03 02:16:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Command line pro's.
From: Riaan van Niekerk <riaanvn AT PUKNET.PUK.AC DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 09:16:24 +0200
>Has anyone ever added a client to the backup server via command line?
If
>so, have any suggesion on where to look for the syntax or do you have
it
>you can send?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Rob

I usually "stage" creation of a client inside a Personal Information
Manager. I use it as a template and change the client name (and if
necessary, the savesets or other values), and then copy and paste it
into a remote shell. Here is an example of creating a Novell Client:

nsradmin -i - <<EOF
create type:nsr client;name:host.domain; save set: "GWS:","SYS:";
directive:NetWare standard directives;browse
policy:Quarter;parallelism:1;
remote user: .backup_user.ou.o ; password: unencrypted_password
EOF

The advantages are manyfold:
- Speed (especially when creating multiple clients of similar
configuration)
- This method is error-resistant in that I never forget to set
something where the default is not what I want (typically policies or
parallelism) or where I tend to forget it (e.g. setting the O/S
directive)
- (For NetWare in particular) ensure that no typing mistakes are made
with the remote user and password needed to backup the client.
- Renaming a client becomes a lot less daunting if you use this method
to first dump the client config and then recreate the client via the
above method, containing all the necessary

greetings

Riaan van Niekerk
Unix-stelseladministrateur
B.Juris, B.A., RHCE, IBM Certified AIX Sysadmin
ITB Netwerke en Infrastruktuur
Potchefstroomse Universiteit
Tel : (018) 299 2147
Fax: (018) 293 5299

 /"\
 \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - NO HTML EMAIL!
  X  PLEASE QUOTE ONLY RELEVANT PARTS OF THIS MESSAGE.
 / \ DON'T QUOTE THIS SIGNATURE!

Hierdie boodskap (en aanhangsels) is onderhewig aan beperkings en 'n
vrywaringsklousule. Volledige besonderhede beskikbaar by
http://www.puk.ac.za/itb/e-pos/disclaimer.html , of by
itbsekr AT puknet.puk.ac DOT za

This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a
disclaimer. Please refer to
http://www.puk.ac.za/itb/e-pos/disclaimer.html for full details, or at
itbsekr AT puknet.puk.ac DOT za