Networker

Re: [Networker] Problemwith the recycling of clones

2003-01-02 13:03:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problemwith the recycling of clones
From: Davina Treiber <treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 13:03:32 -0500
On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:37:44 +0100, Kenneth Larsen
<Kenneth.Larsen AT STERIA DOT DK> wrote:

>I have recently found a problem with the recycling of my clones
>I use both 6.2 and 6.1.2 and it appears on both version.
>
>I clone my full backup and store the clones offsite for some time. When
>they return I recycle the clone tapes using the GUI, and keep the originals
>for another year. But it appears that networker recycles the both the
>clones and originals. When I make a query against the original saveset I
>get the real retention period but the volume is still recyclable.
>
>Is this normal behaviour.
>I don't find it very logical that networker decides to override my set
>retention period just because I wanna resue the clone tape.

Ah, yes it is normal when you understand what is happening, but IMO this is
not desirable behaviour. When you say you are recycling the tape from the
GUI, this is not actually true. What you are doing is changing the status of
the volume (or more precisely every save set contained on that volume) to
recyclable.  However there is a solution. What you need to do is to recycle
(i.e. relabel) the volume, without making it recyclable first. This will
leave the original volume browsable/recoverable. This works because it will
delete only the appropriate clone of the save sets without changing their
status.