Networker

Re: [Networker] Transitioning to new server - different OS

2003-01-02 12:37:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Transitioning to new server - different OS
From: Matthew Bourne <mbourne2001 AT LYCOS.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:38:07 -0500
Teresa,

Unless anything has changed dramatically since 6.1, you are out of luck.

We went through a very protracted process with our support company and, in
turn, Legato, to discover that Legato do not support the transfer of the
NetWorker server from one OS to another, not even between different UNIX
flavours (we moved from Solaris to HPUX).  Legato technical bulletin 121
applies.

We were able to recover the "res" directory from mmrecov, but the media
database was unusable, hence it was not possible to recover client indexes
either.  There followed a long and painful process of "scanner -i" to re-
create both the media database and the client indexes.  Once scanned in,
however, the browse and retention policies for the scanned-in savesets had
to be adjusted.

Good luck.

Matthew