Networker

Re: [Networker] Linux and stinit.def file?

2003-01-02 12:14:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Linux and stinit.def file?
From: Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:14:40 -0500
On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 12:13:15PM -0500, George Sinclair wrote:
> Will it be necessary to relabel a tape or label a "new" (unused) tape
> for the new changes to take effect? In other words, let's suppose I add
> the entries to the stinit.def file, reboot and then try to recover and
> or write data to tapes. Will I still see the block error messages on
> older tapes that were labeled from before the changes were made, but I
> won't see them on tapes labeled after the changes were made or is it
> retroactive?

It's not retroactive. Content that was written before the stinit
change still is using the old block size values and thus will generate
the tape positioning warnings.

I have no clue how tapes that are partially full are handled but in my
experience we saw no issues recovering data off them after changing the
stinit definition.

--
  Scott Russell (lnxgeek AT us.ibm DOT com)
  Linux Technology Center, System Admin, RHCE.