Networker

Re: [Networker] problem creating a monthly sechule

2002-12-21 14:38:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] problem creating a monthly sechule
From: Preston de Guise <pdeguise AT BIGPOND.NET DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 06:38:02 +1100
On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 05:54, Davina Treiber wrote:
> >> Tim: thanks for this. it works like a charm exactly as you describe.
> >> at the risk of quibbling with good news, however, I have a couple of
> >> problems with this. firstly why doesn't it work the way the paragraph
> >> in the manual says it should? and secondly, isn't this a sysadmin
> >> disaster
> >> waiting to happen? what if I forget about this 3 years from now and
> >> don't extend the schedule? surely there should be some way of
> >> defining a schedule like this definitively once and for all.
> >>

> >Jim,
> >
> >This is another area of Networker which could use some help to make it bullet
> >proof.  I have the same problem.  My solution is to have a cron job which
> >runs
> >periodically in Decemeber and sends email reminding me to set the schedules
> >for the next calendar year.
>
> By now I expect you have read the later responses that show the newer more
> flexible way of doing this. It is already a lot closer to bullet proof than
> you thought.
>
> The only bit missing (to the best of my knowledge) is the ability to do
> something like "full last Sunday every month". Unless they have changed it
> recently the concept of "last" will not work.

That's right. "last" is interpreted in a different way in NetWorker 6.x
to what you would expect.

However, you can create:

nsradmin> create type: NSR schedule;
name: LastSundayofMonth;
period: Week;
action: skip;
override: full -1 sunday every -1 month
Create? y
created resource id 0.21.1.34.61.244.121.85.192.168.0.5(1)

That works. (BTW, you only have to specify "skip" once in that action
because NetWorker will take a smaller-than-period-days action list and
repeat it until it gets to the required number of days. Useful on a slow
link with a broken backspace!)

Cheers,

-Preston.