Networker

Re: [Networker] tapes both recyclable and read-only?

2002-12-19 14:40:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] tapes both recyclable and read-only?
From: Matthew Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:37:25 -0500
Davina Treiber wrote:
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 01:41:25 -0500, Matthew Temple
<mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU> wrote:

In all of this, wouldn't everyone agree that there must be something
extraordinarily wrong with Legato's manual if people on this list
have to spend their days discussing the meaining of "(r),"
auto-media-management, etc.?

I am 99% sure that we would find a good description of how this works if any
of us bothered to look it up in the manuals. Human nature being what it is,
we take the easy route and ask someone whom we think might know. Nothing
really wrong with that. Unfortunately in this case misinformation was
supplied which confused the issue.

OK, then perhaps you'd like to find the relevant portions of the manual
that explain in a clear an unequivocal manner what auto-media-management
means, what the various markings related to recycling are, etc.

Also, while you're at it, explain to me why there's a special mmlocate
command which you'd have expected to be folded into some other one of
the "mm" commands.

There's simply a lot of "old unix" guru-headed style that's embedded in
Networker.   Of course, since I live in Boston, I'm used to getting
from place to place without adequate signage.

You might well try to apply your logic to getting from, say, Downtown
Boston to Needham, the suburb in which I live.   You might think,
"I'm sure if I looked that there would be a sufficient number of street
signs for me to figure out where I am."   But you'd be wrong.

Much as I love Networker and have used it to reliably backup and restore
many terabytes of data over the last 5 years, I don't love their
man pages and I don't relish looking at their manuals.

On the other hand, I can be lazy and overly in a hurry too.
Good manual writers understand this and write their manuals from
this understanding, rather than blaming the users for being in
too much of a hurry.

                                       mht

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/632-4012
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street,  JF 314     http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!