Networker

[Networker] Media Management

2002-12-16 13:17:55
Subject: [Networker] Media Management
From: Charles Gagnon <charlesg AT UNIXREALM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:13:59 -0500
All this talk of recyclable/read-only tapes reminded me how poor our
current media management system is. We basically use the Legato Auto
Media feature and we recycle to other Pools on most of our pools.

I generates lists to try and figure out which tapes I should load
next. I tried using tapes from:

 mminfo -a -r "volid,volume,%used,pool,location,volaccess,volflags" -q
'volrecycle,location=""'

But I was always short. Than I tried:

 mminfo -a -r "volid,volume,%used,pool,location,volaccess,volflags" -q
'!readonly,location=""'

Next, I may try to stop recycling across pools and generate seperate
lists for each pools. I'm still debating.

What do people use to find the next batch of available?
What kind of 'home made' media management do people have?
What kind of third party media managementn products do people use
and like?

Thanks.

--
Charles Gagnon                   | My views are my views and they
http://unixrealm.com             | do not represent those of anybody

   It is easier to apologize than to get permission.
        -- Grace Hopper